A cover letter is a letter of introduction attached to or accompanying another document such as a resume or a business proposal. Below are 8 documents that need a cover letter:
- Job applications.
- Referrals .
- Prospecting /Letters of Interest.
- College applications.
- Grant applications
Job application cover letter
This is specific to each position ,and serves as the introduction to your resume. It also demonstrates your interest in a particular job or employer. Additionally,it summarizes the information in your resume, and tells the employers why you believe they should hire you.
Since it is often the first contact with a prospective employer, it should be well written and concise. The letter should tell your prospective employer the following:
- Why you are interested in the organization.
- Why the organization should hire you.
- When and how you will contact the organization to follow up.
Sections of a Resume Cover letter
This consists of three parts: Introduction, body and closing.
Your introduction should cover the following:
- Capture the readers’ interest.
- Tell the reader how you learned of the job opening. If appropriate, mention the name of the person who referred you to the company and/or the job opportunity.
In this section, you should include the following:
- Demonstrate your ability to do the job.
- Promote your education, experiences, past jobs, internships, and student activities.
- Illustrate your skills that are related to the position.
- Enhance your accomplishments with details. However, you should not repeat what is in your resume.
Your closing should include the following:
- Your next steps, including your plan to follow up with the employer.
- Thank the employer for taking time to consider your application materials.
- Close the cover letter with ‘’Sincerely’’ or’’ Respectfully’’
- Limit the cover letter to one page.
- Avoid the word ‘’I’’.
- Vary writing style; try to offset long sentences with short ones.
- Personalize each letter; attempt to address each letter to a specific individual.
- Sign the cover letter.
- Use official font,for example Arial,Times New Roman,Cambia,etc
- Use a 10-12 find size.
- Ensure your cover letter has power words such as negotiated,persuaded,encouraged,and authored.
Do you need help to craft a winning cover letter? Please get a quote here